Saturday, January 4, 2014

Naturally Yours...

Going natural was not an easy decision at the beginning because I was so concerned about society's opinions of what African American hair should look like.  When I was introduced to natural hair as an adult, I thought it was beautiful on "those" women but definitely not me.  I don't have so called "good hair."  I began my transitioning phase in 2008 that was going great because I had discovered a wonderful product called DivaSmooth.  This product allowed me to transition with keeping the integrity of beautiful hair (LOL).  During this transitional phase, the season was changing from cold to hot; therefore my mind was changing along with it.  So I gave in and put a relaxer on my hair.  After about a year in half later, I decided to go through with.  My mind was finally made up.  I decided to get braids as my transitional phase but of course getting braids on a regular basis was to time consuming for me.  I decided to do my "BIG CHOP" in 2011.
Going natural was the best thing for me and my hair.  Of course, it was a BIG adjustment because trying to look at myself with a "boy cut" was very different coming from having long locks of hair.  Some of my loved ones loved it and others had to adjust but I wasn't turning back.  I was going to post some pictures of my "boy cut" but realize, OOPPSS!, I don't have any because I was still adjusting.  Yes, I was still feeling a bit pressed by society.  So taking pictures was just not what I wanted to do.  I was just ready for it to grow to a length I liked. 
I have allowed my hair do what its expected to do, GROW.  I have now been natural for two years and growing.  Now I have cut my hair several times because as we all know hair has to be maintained with delicate care.  So my hair hasn't made it down my back as of yet but it is growing.  I have now definitely embraced my hair and all its trials.  I have been able to look at several videos but what I have learned is everyone's hair is very different; meaning what works for me may not work for you.  So learn your hair and be patient.  It was the BEST transition for me.  So I'm leaving you all with "Just A Thought", love your hair in its natural form because it will love you back.

 
I will be posting my favorite products... Stay posted

1 comment:

  1. Love it Sissy!!! I'm really thinking about becoming natural...

    ReplyDelete